IKEA is one of my favorite brands, which gives me the joy of beautiful design at reasonable prices. When their store came to my neighborhood, I was thrilled that I could frequently visit there. While I was at the store or home, I tried to use their mobile app for better shopping. And as a UX designer, I came up with some ideas to improve their mobile experience for the feature, flow, structure, and layout and seamlessly link it to its offline experience as well.
Timeline & My Role
| 1 month
| User Research
| UX / UI Design
I love looking up new items from IKEA. But there are several problems:
- The Ikea stock in the product is not accurate with mobile apps. Once I created a huge shopping list, I came to the store, and I was not able to scroll in the list.
- I have to switch in the bottom menu and then back to the list to be able to scroll.
- Log in and Sing in systems are not efficient.
- Unable to save my favorite items.
- Unable to buy my items on the apps.
Before start making my user persona, I need to create an empathy map, which is a collaboration tool to gain a more in-depth insight into my users of the application. In my empathy map, I need to gathering information such as making surveys, observation, and having conversations with people to have a more in-depth insight into the target user and gains and pains while they are experiencing using the application.
(Quantitative Research Method)
In order to explore IKEA user need to nowadays in either on-app shopping or in-store shopping, I carry out a survey, invited 50 people who aged from 18 – 40 that have been used the IKEA app before and participate in my design research.
The questions of the questionnaire contained 15 questions, which are generated from using the online google survey. For each question, participants are asked to pick the multiple questions or even fill in their answers.
- Among them, most say they would like to purchase products from the app.
- User is likely to check the most updated product for them to have a more efficient life.
Which demographic would be the potential user? I categorized them as primary, secondary, and tertiary to analysis the needs and pain points of them.
Low – Fidelity Prototype
After the design research and planning, I carried out the key features which I want to redesign in the current Ikea app. Using Invison allows me to collaborate experiment of my design and test much more effectively and efficiently. (Click to see in Invison version: )https://invis.io/G2FPY3MX74W )
High – Fidelity Prototype
Through my redesign of the current Ikea App, I hope that my redesign delivers a better and more efficient user experience for the IKEA lover!
My redesign allows user :
- Adding features of new IKEA food and menu.
- Adding features of Ikea story, blog, and review to give the user a sense of community since the IKEA concept was to create a friendly vibe on the brand.
- Abilities to add payment cards and membership card.
- Giving more options to the user to log in or sign in to their account.
- Adding the “Like” button to save your favorite products.
- On app purchase with time tracking to remind users to pick up.
- In-store map showing your current location.